Sunday, August 23, 2009

That moment of anguish...9 Aug 1965


I thought I would share another of my news clipping which was published by the Straits Times edition of Thursday 2 August 1990.
This news cutting showed the now famous scene of then Prime Minister Mr Lee Kuan Yew shedding tears in a moment of great anguish...during the televised Press Conference on 9 August 1965.
I remember very vividly watching the whole press conference together with my family members in our Geylang home on our black and white TV set.
We were all shocked beyond words by the days' event and felt nothing but great sympathy for our young PM, who had all our support for a Malaysian Malaysia which included Singapore..something which he and his founding colleagues fought so hard for. I remember that not long after we had merger with Malaysia, we were constantly bombarded with lots of Malaysian propaganda that appeared in jingles, songs and billboards.
One song I recollect even as I am typing now is :
" Let's get together, sing a happy song
Malaysia for ever, 10 million strong
Land of the free, marching as one......."
It lasted all of nearly 2 years from 16 Sept 1963 ( the year we joined Malaysia ) till the break up
on 9 August 1965.

No comments: